Monday, February 3, 2014

My first day...

Well it was rather miserable. Everyone was lovely and helpful, and my homestay family were so kind and welcoming. But all I wanted to do was sleep. And I knew I couldn't sleep. All anyone told me to do was not sleep, and all that made me do was think about sleeping. There was one point where I was being shown Crouch End (Where I'm living) and I could have fallen asleep with my legs still moving. At about four when I finally got a bit of time alone in my room, I burst into tears and started hating everything about London, only wanting to return home. But, before you guys start awwing me and encouraging me to continue on, let me finish my story ;)

After the irrational tear bit I decided I HAD to take a nap. I did, for about 90 minutes and felt much better once I got up. I skyped my family which also made me feel much more cheerful. I then went downstairs to have dinner with my host family, and that was quite nice. It was me, Steve, Dilys, and Dily's mum Gwyneth. We talked for quite a while, and I had my first taste of Yorkshire pudding, which is not pudding at all, but rather a small... pancake like, round thing. It was tasty. I stayed awake till about 830 and my host family said they were quite impressed with my ability to hold a legible conversation. We discussed Seamus Heaney and Steve and Dily's argued over whether she was Scottish or not. It was most amusing. I then went almost immediately to bed and slept for 12 hours.

I woke up with an incredibly improved aspect. As I was getting tea and munching on toast this morning I decided that London wasn't so bad after all. I met Katie and Rachael (who live three doors down from me) and we walked to the tube station. It's a bit of a walk, about 20 minutes, but it's a rather nice walk and so easy that even I could find it by myself. Our tube trip is about 15 minutes, and then another ten minute walk to school, so all in all, a good commute.We had orientation for a few hours, fairly boring stuff, but not too terrible. After that we returned to our homestays for a bit, and then went back into central London to celebrate Tali's 21st birthday. We ate at a little pub called Prince Authur's, which was quite nice.

Now, I'm home. Sitting in my violently magenta room. The cat seems to like my room the best, which is unfortunate, but other than that it's quite a nice room. Today has greatly improved my aspect and I am now quite sure that this shall be a pleasant few months, even though I still miss everyone back home.

I hope everyone in Maryland enjoys their snow.

It was 50 degrees and sunny here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment